Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Bottlebrush Buckeye


Bottlebrush buckeye, or Aesculus parviflora is one of my favorite summer-flowering shrubs.  The one below is blooming at the Conservatory Gardens in Central Park.  If the genus name is familiar, that's because I've also blogged about Aesculus hippocastanum, or horsechestnut.  Like that species, this plant has opposite, palmately compound leaves, though A. parviflora is typically large, sprawling shrub, and A. hippocastanum is a tree.

Of course, the flowers are quite different too.  As the common name implies, the spikey infloresences look like bottlebrushes.  The species name, parviflora, means "small flowers" - as the individual flowers on this infloresence are quite small.


Now, I said that the plant is typically a sprawling shrub (it's also one of the very best plants to use in dense shade), but on a recent visit to Manor View Farms in Maryland the owner John showed me some unusual specimens he had that had been limbed up into treeforms.  It's killing me that I don't have a chance to use them on any current jobs - they make a lovely silhouette. 

3 comments:

  1. great choice to highlight. I try to use it often in tight residential landscapes. It really makes a statement in treeform, and lots of low-growing groundcovers will live under it. I have my trillium collection under mine so by the time the trilliums are all done, the buckeye is doing its thing. The fall color is really wonderful too.

    Next how about a feature on paw paws :) Another small tree favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hah! I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for some!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can send you pictures of mine.

    ReplyDelete