Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Amsonia hubrichtii

Recently, I was recommending Amsonia hubrichtii or threadleaf bluestar, for a job site in Bethesda.  While sharing photos of the plant with the client and architect, I added, "Amsonia also is the 2011 'Perennial Plant of the Year' -- it's like the Oscars for plants." And while I was being a little flip, it's true.


I think the masses of Amsonia used here (with occasional pops of bluestem and aster) is a lovely application of the plant.  As wind brushes by the hillside, they all lazily sway in the breeze.  In the spring, when the light blue star shaped flowers appear, it's no doubt lovely, tough I think it must look best in the fall, when the plant turns a honey, straw color.


Amsonia is native to North America, from points east of Missouri within the zone range of 4-9. 

No comments:

Post a Comment