Monday, October 24, 2011

Muhlenbergia capillaris

Muhlenbergia capillaris, or muhly grass, is one of my favorite ornamental grasses.  It's compact, reaching a non-flowering height of 36" (which makes it more convenient than a plus size Panicum virgatum in smaller residential settings) but most striking are the purplish red blooms that appear each autumn.


Recently, I specified the plant on a contemporary modern home that had a perimeter fence made of 66" high Corten steel sheeting.  The house itself had a pure white stucco facade and I placed the muhly grass along the base of the structure, mirroring (on a conceptual level, at least) the deep rust of the Corten. 


I've been very happy with the results and as soon as I get some decent finished installation, I will place them on my firm's website.  But for now, in case you've noticed the lovely gem and wondered what it was, I thought I'd share these pics from Bartholdi Gardens in DC.

No comments:

Post a Comment