Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Early Winter Textures

I was in Tenleytown in DC the other day and was struck by the combination of textures in this relatively ordinary urban garden. Unfortunately I only had my iPhone 3GS, which is beginning to feel the effects of 2 years of abuse (well...Not quite 2 years -- my contract is up in March at which point I can get a new phone at a discount!).



In any case, the Spirea thunbergii looks beautiful in autumn and it's easy to forget what lovely fall color it has.  The toasted honey hue looks perfect with the grasses flanking it on both sides.


As much as I love the look now, I'm not sure I'd ever combine S. thunbergii with grasses due to the way they'd look in spring or summer -- I'm not sure I'd buy that they'd look good together.  But I'll have to keep an eye on this garden come spring to reconsider.

No comments:

Post a Comment