Monday, November 29, 2010

The Biggest Katsuratree I've Ever Seen!

This rambling specimen of a tree is another one from Dumbarton Oaks.  I saw this from across the large green near the house -- the wall behind it lines R Street in Georgetown. Naturally, I was drawn to its spindly habit, which reminded me of Louise Bourgeois's spider sculptures

 

Closer inspection of the bark made me think this was Cercidiphyllum japonicum, or katsuratree, though the tree seemed far too big for this to be so.  In its native habitat of China, the trees can reach up to 100', but in cultivation they rarely get much larger than 35 or 40' -- and that's an impressive size.

But indeed, a few persistent leaves and subopposite buds indicate that this is katsura.  Without a doubt, the biggest one I've seen!  Most people think of the beech tree when they recall their trip to Dumbarton (and more on that beech another time), but this katsura is worth a visit, too.

1 comment: