Monday, November 22, 2010

Dumbarton Oaks Paving Patterns

Last weekend I was able to spend quite a bit of time in Georgetown.  I was housesitting at a property almost directly across the street from Dumbarton Oaks, which of course, as a landscape architect and horticulturist, is a dream location.

On Friday I spent a few hours at the gardens to get some extra images for my library. (It's embarassing to admit, but most of my other Dumbarton Oaks photos were taken with a non-digital camera.  That's how long it's been since I've had a lengthy visit.  Shameful.)

There are obviously a wealth of photos that I'd like to share, but today, I'm just going to post photos of some of the different paving patterns.  Enjoy!


 
Gravel and Belgian Block at the Drive.


Random rectangular motor court. 


Diagonal running bond with stone steps and band.


Interrupted curving running bond with header edges.


Basket weave with soldier edges.


Diamond detail.


Tile with stone banding.


I wish I knew for sure what kind of stone this is! Anyone know?


Running bond with circle and diamond details. 


Stone pavers with gravel.


Stone pavers and aggregate with brick edging beyond.

 Knot detail.

2 comments:

  1. These are awesome! Thanks for posting them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really wonder and innovative. Although Block pavings are really fascinates. I like most third one and fourth one. That Impact the modern stones design. Good to share.

    ReplyDelete