Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Millennium Park Water Feature/Canal/'Stream'

A wooden promenade and shallow canal bisect Lurie Gardens just south of the Gehry amphitheater (seen to the left). It runs at a diagonal, which presumably accommodates pedestrians passing through the park while walking through the city, as well as creating a quite open space to simply people watch or read a book. 

The ipe (FSC certified, of course) boardwalk runs at a pitch downhill, meeting the cross street to the south just a few steps above grade.  The canal achieves the drop in grade with the placement of weirs, allowing the water to step down in grade and be consistently shallow enough to rest your feet on the bottom.  The boardwalk steps down as well, creating a long bench which, as you can see, is well used by visitors.


Metal bridges traverse the canal and are composed of naval brass, bronze and powdercoated steel. 

3 comments:

  1. This park looks amazing. I love the cleanliness and neatness of the park. The architectural design is very impressive. The flooring design is also very classy. I would love to visit this place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the combination of contemporary and Japanese designs in the park. The flooring looks really great. I'm thinking of getting the same floors for my backyard.

    flooring temecula

    ReplyDelete
  3. At first glance I thought it was a wooden floating floor installation but I guess it's not since it is in a open park. I love how clean the place is and how the area is maintained simple.

    ReplyDelete