Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Acer capillipes

Last year, I spent quite a few days posting pics of the NYBG's holiday show, alternating pictures of their beautiful, natural models of NYC architectural icons with plants that were showy this time of year.  One of the plants I never got around to posting about was Acer capillipes or snakebark maple.


I first noticed the plant from afar -- the red sheen to the tree immediately made me suspect I was looking at a red maple (Acer rubrum) or a Japanese maple (Acer palmatum).  Both of those species' buds enlarge at this time of year, as I've noted in the past.


Acer capillipes is native to Japan and closely related to the popular striped maple, Acer pensylvanicum. Like red maple, the plant is naturally found in somewhat wet areas, like along streams and riverbanks.  The leaves almost resemble those of a viburnum - they are trident-shaped with coarse serrations. 


No comments:

Post a Comment