Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Ilex verticillata

I was at the University of Maryland on Friday, participating in the final studio review at the Architecture School.  Approaching the building, I was reminded of how much I like Ilex verticillata or winterberry holly.  

 

One could say that it's appropriate enough that these shrubs (which look lovely when they sprawl through large spaces) are trimmed and hedged in a very architectural manner.   They are, after all, outside of the Architecture School's building.


I blogged about Ilex verticillata last year, when I saw one specimen growing in the High Line (come to think about it, there had to be a male there somewhere).  


I was desperate to use these this autumn when I renovated my folks' place in Virginia.  As beautiful as it is, it's sadly quite tasty to deer as well.  Instead, I opted for Aronia arbutifolia.

No comments:

Post a Comment