Friday, May 20, 2011

Library of Congress

Last Tuesday, the Institute of Classical Architecture hosted a wonderful tour of the Library of Congress building in DC.   Shamefully, I had never been in the building before, despite having lived in the DC area from 85-88 and 91-93, and my folks having been here since 91. 
 
 

It's a beautiful ornate structure, designed to honor our country's "secular saints" -- great thinkers, scientists and poets.  


It was also one of the first public buildings to employ electric light, though the architecture still captured and maximized available sunlight.



The marble is a mix of North American, Italian and North African stone.  This scalloped paving pattern in the main hall was particularly beautiful to me.


As was this smaller braided band detail.


Those who know me know I have a soft spot for owl imagery so I had to share a pic of this guy, tucked away in the corner of a glass tile mosaic.

No comments:

Post a Comment