Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Puakahi, Oahu

On Halloween, I arrived in Honolulu for my two-week work/vacation.  My first night in Hawaii, I was fortunate enough to be a guest at the home of the local landscape architect with whom I was collaborating.  Despite the jetlag, the first order of business, upon arriving at his and his wife's home, was a quick tour of their garden, accompanied by their sweet dogs.


The site rambles down a hill on the north side of Oahu, and grass paths were terraced out of the slope.  


When the path changes direction or pitch, these intersections are punctuated with fountains, significant trees or other garden follies.






Since the grade descends behind the house, the bedrooms are on the ground floor and open out to the pool terrace.  Above, my wonderful hostess smiles out from the living/dining area balcony.



A small pool structure is perfect for a drink or a poolside meal.


Balinese columns support planters of orchids.


The view of the pool and the harbor beyond from the upper balcony.

This property is made available for rent for Hawaiian vacations or weddings,  You can find more information here: http://www.puakahi.com

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe you haven't had more postings. Granted I am a nut for Hawaii as I believe it is paradise on earth. Can't wait to check out the site.

    ReplyDelete