Friday, December 2, 2011

Holiday Wreaths '11

Last year, I posted a how-to on wreathmaking. I know for a fact that at least two people read that post, because this year my mom and my sister asked me for help making their own wreaths.  So the Tuesday before Thanksgiving we got together for a little craft party.

I bought all the goods from Michael's crafts, with these requests: My sister wanted to do something unconventional, with non traditional holiday colors. My mom wanted a boxwood wreath (using boxwood cuttings from her garden).  I wasn't sure what I was going to make.


I saw the above for sale at Michael's and liked the idea of it; I decided to use that as a guide, only I'd scale back the....bling.  I bought fake lemons for my mom and pink and blue Christmas balls for my sister. And I bought wine.  Beaujolais Nouveau in fact. (For the record, the food was tasty too - whole wheat pasta in a butternut squash sauce with toasted walnuts and a salad of shaved Brussel sprouts with pecorino and toasted walnuts).


Above, mom gets started with wire, boxwood and wreath frame.


While Tina starts plotting out placement of ornaments on her foam wreath, using toothpicks to do preliminary placement.


Meanwhile, I took a grapevine wreath and painted it with silver shimmer spraypaint.


Tina's progressed beautifully, though I underestimated how many ornaments we'd need.


Mom's placing an "H" ornament of silver bells on the wreath.


Tina's finished wreath is above - it's Katy Perry's dream wreath, candy colored and fun.


Mom's is above -- very traditional, though I like the off center placement of the bow wrapped around cinnamon sticks.


And mine, above.  It really doesn't photograph well, but not counting drying time for paint, it took about ten minutes to make.


It's simply a grapevine wreath, with silver and red "berries" wired into it.  I would have added more gilt perhaps, but in person it's quite nice.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I've got a tree for you to decorate...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like a great time, wine necessary but a lot of fun. I made a boxwood wreath to match the one in the photo. I will start the tradition.

    ReplyDelete