Thursday, September 16, 2010

Clematis paniculata


I have a fond spot in my heart for Clematis paniculata, or sweet autumn clematis, since it was one of the very first plants I learned in my ornamental plants class at Virginia Tech, way back in 1993.  
It's a lovely fall-blooming perennial vine, which is somewhat unnoticeable until this time of year. 
Below, it is growing near the boardwalk in Southern New Jersey. 



 

I have blogged about Clematis before, though those species were crosses of Clematis x jackmanii.   As you can see the flowers below are far different.  They are smaller, with strappier petals and only occur in shades of white. 



There's some debate as to whether this plant is invasive or not (some simply call it "vigorous").  I haven't seen this invade woodlands or pop up along highways but inevitably I will start to see that now that I've posted this.  What about you?  Any chance you've seen this plant where it shouldn't be?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment