Monday, September 13, 2010

Helianthus annuus

I was in Maryland last week, scoping out plant nurseries and setting up accounts when I saw a flash of yellow on a hillside in the distance.  As I approached the field closer, it was evident that I had stumbled upon a sunflower farm. 


The last time I saw this many sunflowers growing in the landscape was in 1996, when I was driving through Kansas.  It's hard not to think, Kansas=Corn, but Kansas is one of the top three sunflower crop producing states in the country (along with North and South Dakota).

Sunflowers were first cultivated by Native Americans at around 3000 BC.  Over the years, the plant  has been hybridized so that it yields as many seeds as possible, since that is its valuable resource.  However, the specimens above have fairly large ray florets and the area of disc florets is relatively small, leading me to speculate that these plants may be farmed for cut flowers, and not for sunflower seeds.  Though I just don't know...Maybe the next time I'm nearby I will go and ask!

2 comments:

  1. I have aways dreamt of one day being able to visit a sunflower field. I haven't seen acres of land with sunflowers. I'm sure it's beautiful!
    Landscape Lighting Orange County

    ReplyDelete
  2. The humble sunflower; always reminds me of impressionism & Van Gogh... I must plant a couple of sunflowers for this summer... what stunning colors you've captured!!!

    ReplyDelete