Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Orchids and Lanai

Lately I have been doing a lot of traveling to Hawaii.  I have a project reaching completion in Waikiki and like any good addict, I am looking for my next Hawaiian fix!  That's why I was so happy to visit some new friends in Lanai, to discuss some landscape issues.

While I was there, they were generous enough to give me a tour of the island.  I'll post a few other photos in the weeks to come, but for now, I'll just share a few images of this little jewel box: the orchid greenhouse at the Four Seasons Lodge at Koele

The orchid house sits at the rear of a large, formal garden with unmistakable Asian influences.
  Collections are rotated regularly.




You can see the orchid house directly beyond the gazebo. The flowers in the background are bougainvillea but I was struck by how much they reminded me of azaleas, given their use in this composition. It reminds me vaguely of the Asian garden at the BBG.
This sculpture welcomes you as you leave the Lodge building (which feels like an English hunting manor) and move into the gardens.

1 comment: