Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Bench Siting

When I worked at the Bronx Zoo, I drew up a lot of quick little construction drawings for the installation of benches throughout the park's campus.  In a million years, a sketch indicating this would never be approved. Anyone know why?


We always had to incorporate some kind of paving (ideally a porous one) underneath the bench.  The arrangement above (though lovely with the pink granite pedestals underneath each bench foot) would require to much maintenance.   Mulch would have to be re-applied and weeds would need to be combated (particularly in a sunny location like this).  Granted, the operating budget for the Sculpture Garden may very well exceed that of the Bronx Zoo's, but this detail just looks unfinished to me.


Above, at the Bronx Zoo, benches are sitting away from the main traffic path and elevated above Astor Court's historic granite curb.


At Longwood Gardens, the benches are sitting on platforms and pulled back from the path, so your knees aren't in traffic.


The detail above, at the Getty Center in Los Angeles, is even more elaborate.


 In Teardrop Park, the bench sits on a continuation of the sidewalk paving.


As it does at this church courtyard in Paris.

At the High Line,  the bench sits above a drain grate.

Finally, the bench I'd most want to sit on: a stone bench at Monet's home in Giverny, France has cobble paving to distinguish this from the main thoroughfare.

5 comments:

  1. I so love it when you make me look at things differently than before. Small details pointed out that I completely miss on my own, but will now notice. It is a curse and a blessing.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer I just posted that last photo on my Facebook page - Serenity in the Garden and told everyone to go to your blog.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. And that's exactly where I have just come from. Lovely blog you have Jennifer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the great post on benches. From an urban designer's perspective, these are the things we spent a lot of time obsessing over in school, but there's often other decisions that come into play in the "real world!"

    I agree with you - the stone bench is the one I'd most like to sit on, and I think it has a lot to do with the enclosure provided by the wall of flowers.

    ReplyDelete