Friday, February 4, 2011

Sciadopitys verticillata

When I was entering the sculpture garden this week, from the southwest, I had to give this plant a quick doubletake.  I had first assumed it was a long needled species of Picea, but no, it was Sciadopitys verticillata, or umbrella pine. 

Umbrella pines are rarely found in public areas.  Indeed when I teach this plant to my students at Columbia, I'm limited to showing them a very sad, very runty tree in the pinetum of Central Park which has surely not grown an inch in my five years of teaching. So when I do find such a lovely specimen, I get excited about it. 


Not all specimens grow as slowly as the one in Central Park.  At best, they can manage a tiny bit of growth - perhaps 6" a year.  This of course means they are fairly expensive. I'm curious what lead to this selection then, back in the early 90's.  At best, this plant has only grown 10' and I can't imagine that a 20' specimen was installed.  Perhaps it was transplanted on-site?  If anyone remembers if Sciadopitys was at the sculpture garden before the renovation, please let me know!

1 comment:

  1. When the stars align, Sciadopitys will do much better than 6"/yr. This one at the Arnold Arboretum is an example of the more rapid growth the species is capable of. Best growth is achieved on moist very well drained soil, hot humid weather, and frequent precipitation. I suspect if it was native to North America, you'd find it on the slopes of sheltered valleys in the Smoky Mountains.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/karlgercens/4125224782/lightbox/

    ReplyDelete