Thursday, February 3, 2011

Cedrus atlantica glauca

Yesterday, I had some downtime before I taught my horticulture course in DC.  I decided to take advantage of the warmer (ish) weather and visit the National Sculpture Garden associated with the National Gallery of Art. 

 

I remember when the gardens here were redesigned by Laurie Olin Partnership, back in the early/mid '90s.  I cannot believe it's been almost 20 years since this was new construction.  It would explain how the tree specimens have gotten so big all of the sudden!


This species is closely related to the deodar cedar I posted about last December.  In fact, it's Cedrus, only it's Cedrus atlantica glauca, or blue atlas cedar. 



Unlike Cedrus deodara, this specimen has spurs with many more needles, all of which are shorter.  This difference, though small when comparing one spur to another, adds up to a very different character in the tree.  The habit is less pendulous and of course, as the subspecies name 'glauca' infers, the needles themselves have a bluish tint.  

No comments:

Post a Comment