Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Vriesea imperialis

Like a bad magician, I am giving away one of my tricks with this photo.


I like to think that some of you readers assume I just happen to know every plant that exists (or a lot of them, at least).  But that's the great thing about botanical gardens - they have tags.  And with digital cameras, you can take as many photos as you want and not worry about wasting film!  So I have countless pics like this one - of a plant in question and it's accompanying tag.


However, hopefully regular readers to PC and NYPAOS would recognize a bromeliad when they saw one.  I feel like I'm always posting about them, though that's hardly the case.  This specimen, also called imperial Vriesea, was growing at the Waimea Valley Botanical Garden, a fantastic botanical garden I mentioned just last week as well.


Disappointingly, these specimens were just beginning to flower.  The inflorescences (pollinated by bats, usually) reach heights as high as 3 meters.


No comments:

Post a Comment