Monday, March 21, 2011

Scilla siberica

Last Saturday, I took my design class through Dumbarton Oaks for a field trip.   It had been almost exactly four months since my last visit and it was a delight to be there at the beginning of spring. Really, truly: if you live in the DC area and have never been to the gardens, please go.  It's worth it!

 

Above, tucked in among the foliage of Eranthis hyemalis, is a wonderful spring bulb, Scilla siberica.  Scilla is native to the Mediterranean, like most bulbs, which grow leaves and flower in the early spring and go dormant during the hot, dry summers. 


The straight species is blue, but an 'alba' variety exists which is white, as there are some others that are ever so slightly pink.  The plant can naturalize quite easily from seed and that feature has been used to a great effect here on a wooded hillside of the gardens.


Gorgeous!  It's made me think I definitely need to order more Scilla for my parents' place this autumn.  Though diminutive in size (it barely passes 6" in height) the impact of using it en masse cannot be dismissed!

No comments:

Post a Comment