Monday, March 7, 2011

Petticoat Daffodil

I'm not sure I can think of a cuter common name for a plant than 'petticoat daffodil.'  I mean, really.  The botanical name, bulbocodium, means 'woolly bulb' which is somewhat (conversely) less cuddly-sounding.  Paghat's Garden quotes a great line of Mother Goose that refers to this plant: 

Daffy-down dilly has come to town
In a yellow petticoat and a green gown.


Of course, this specimen is a white cultivar, which I think is somewhat less striking.  The fine, threadlike leaves and the small white blossoms get lost in this planting, near the USBG.  I much prefer the straight species and its yellow flowers.


I blogged about daffodils and their many classes on NYPAOS.  As you can see, N. bulbocodium has a greatly enlarged cup and small, flared perianth.  Like many other bulbs, this species is native to the Mediterranean, specifically Spain and Portugal.

2 comments:

  1. This is beautiful - Daffodils are one of my favorites, but Tulips take the cake. Got any info on Tulips?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Mother Goose reference. Please do that more often as there is a a lot of this in children's rhymes. Also, is this plant related to Winter Jasmine?

    ReplyDelete