Friday, March 4, 2011

Pittosporum tobira

Yesterday, I received a comment that Coccoloba reminded the reader of jade plant (Crassula).  They commented that the loose architecture of the branches reminded them of that houseplant.  While I can see that resemblance, they are not related.  Neither is Crassula related to Pittosporum tobira, though when my aunt texted me this photo from her Florida trip, she had the same suspicions.

I had no doubt the photo she sent was Pittosporum, or Japanese cheesewood.  Though native to Japan, the plant is salt and drought tolerant and thus very popular as an ornamental in Florida.  Left unchecked it can become a small tree though often it's used as a low, sprawling shrub or hedge.


The specimens above, growing in the Parc del Clot in Barcelona, could possibly be the smaller cultivar, 'Wheeler's Dwarf.'  A half-hearted attempt to find out why the plant is called "cheesewood" -- which I think is an awfully unappealing name -- brought no specific results.  Presumably the wood smells, or tastes like, cheese.  I'll have to check this out the next time I see it...

1 comment:

  1. Flowers of the plant Pittosporum tobira have a smell of orange blossom scented and in terms of a broad classification could be described as … Fruity | Mild

    ReplyDelete