Thursday, January 20, 2011

Longwood Garden's Green Wall

To round out this recent spate of green wall posts, I'm sharing some photos of Longwood Garden's newest contribution.  This wall opened last year as part of the underground extension of the conservatory.   The rooms in this hallway are public restrooms, and the arc of the hallway directly relates to the terraced grass amphitheater that has been added to the above-ground, outdoor space, designed by Kim Wilkie. 

 

Obviously, the skylights will significantly aid in the success of the plantings,though I suspect that the wall may have grow-lights on it after the conservatory closes to the public. 


The structure is quite different in appearance to the Rubenstein Atrium, in that metal grids seems to be holding the plants up in an exposed cellular pattern.  This kind of infrastructure, if it exists at Lincoln Center, is hidden behind matting.
 

The base of the wall is different as well.  I prefer this arrangement - with the wall simply draining into the grate below.  Come to think of it, I'd love to know if the water from the restroom sinks is routed here as well - it seems like a great opportunity to recycle the both sources of gray water.

More on the species selection this afternoon.

2 comments:

  1. This is delightful! In fact, when I win the lottery (smirk) I will totally install this in my mansions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this post.I like this post so much because it aware me about Longwood Garden's Green Wall.This is really impressive and informative stuff.

    ReplyDelete