Monday, January 24, 2011

Sanseviera trifasciata

I mentioned Sanseviera trifasciata a few weeks ago, when blogging about somali hemp.  It's indeed an insanely popular houseplant.   


It's not a particular favorite of mine.  Frankly, it's kinda ugly.  But this thing survived 5 different New York City apartments.  In my first apartment - a north-facing basement unit - this was the only thing that didn't up and die instantly.  It declined steadily to the point that it only had one sad leaf remaining, but when I moved into a 5th floor walk-up (also north-facing), it rebounded.


After a few years there, I moved to the Lower East Side.  Second floor unit.  South facing, but the large building across the street blocked any light.  The plant began to wither once again.  This was the site of the infamous apartment fire so soon enough I moved the plant again.  This time to a fourth floor walk-up with east and west light and no big buildings blocking it.


Last year the plant was tested once again.  I moved all my plants to DC in January when my lease expired in NY.  My brother and I packed the truck as fast as we could, hoping to hit the road before the snow started.  No luck.  We spent 9 hours driving from NYC to DC.  I wrapped the plants in plastic bags before we left (and even crammed a few in the cab of the truck) but many perished in the trip.  This one, ever the trooper, was nonplussed.  Now in my new apartment (2nd floor, south light) it's doing quite well, as you can see by the small leaf sprouting above.  I should probably divide it, but the poor thing has been through enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment