Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Pandanus utilis

Well, if this isn't the saddest specimen, I don't know what is.  This is an offshoot of a larger Pandanus plant from my mom's house.  I'm hoping it perks up. 


I've long been familiar with Pandanus as a houseplant.  We always had one, even though it's always made our cats throw it up.  Somehow they find the (mildly toxic) leaves irresistible.


It wasn't until I spent so much time working in Hawaii that I appreciated what a remarkable plant Pandanus can become.

This specimen is from Waimea Botanical Garden on the North Shore of Oahu (by the way, this is still one of my favorite plant spots for Hawaii - definitely spend some time in Hale Ewa and Waimea Bay if you're ever in the area). 
       

Note that the tree develops aerial roots that descend from about 18" above the ground layer.  The leaves, when mature, can be quite sharp, to the point of easily scratching you.

No comments:

Post a Comment