Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Millennium Park Crown Fountain

Since I already posted some of my folks' pics from Millennium Park yesterday, I thought I would keep up the theme for this afternoon.  Today I'm sharing some of their photos of the Crown Fountain, designed by artist Jaume Plensa in collaboration with Krueck and Sexton Architects.

 

Water is a wonderful feature in any park where the summers are hot and Chicago is no exception.  97% of the water in this fountain is successfully recycled as well.  The fountain is comprised of two 50' glass towers on each side of the pool.  The towers collectively consist of 22,500 glass blocks. 


Video portraits of 1000 Chicagoans appear on the towers.  They are modern-day interpretations of the gargoyles that acted as downspouts on gothic cathedrals and at the end of each cameo, a spout of water streams out of one's "mouth" and into the pool.  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment